Thursday, March 5, 2015

Participant profiles 4-6 (Cycle 1)

This is the second of three blog posts for Cycle 1 of my A.R.

Professor Gellar: Prior accessibility training  (in Bb) > 5 years ago. Is using a web based schedule rather than a paper one. Mac user.

“I’m pretty fearless and toss myself into things to figure it out. It’s overwhelming. I work way harder on technology now that I used to spend time with students”

“Where’s even the checklist that a program chair can be required to hand to a faculty member that said this is what accessibility looks like on paper? These are your requirements for meeting accessibility requirements. That would help.”

“How would I even know where to find it?” Stated while discussing existing campus resources that few to no faculty are aware are available

“I will say this for myself but I know it’s true for other people. It [accessibility resources] may have been thrown at me in some email but we get slammed with so much stuff. The truth is I do everything I can to stay up on student email so I lose some of them.” 


Professor Jackson: Previous Accessibility training  (web) > 4 years ago & experience working with students with special needs. Mac user.

"I believe in inclusivity. I believe in making sure every single student, every staff member, faculty member, and administrator at CI knows that they belong here." Stated when explaining why they agreed to participate in my research

"I'm always looking for ways to improve my skills and my awareness about cultures, in some ways, if you're talking about people who are blind or visually impaired as a form of culture that I want to share then I have to work extra hard to figure out what their reality is so that I can work at meeting them where their reality is and their working at meeting me at where my reality is."


Professor Thompson: No previous accessibility training. Mac user.


“Is it enough to put it in a PDF?” Question asked if a document is accessible if turned into a PDF while discussing that PDFs provide greater access to students as compared to sharing Word Docs. Making a doc a PDF is the first step in making a document accessible.

“I am not intentionally every trying to not make stuff accessible but you just don’t think about it. I think we need to be educated on what it means make course documents available and accessible.”

"So why do we not have training on this?" Stated as an “unprompted” question to take back to the ATI committee

“If I had been thinking seriously about accessibility versus just assuming things then I should have been more proactive but other things are easier for faculty to find that we think we are supposed to be doing. The fact that I never paid attention that Adobe Pro can do a check to see if a document is accessible… There is stuff out there we just need to know how to take advantage of it.”


“I’m glad you chose to do this project, it’s good for you and your research and program and I think it’s important for faculty to know how to do too. Good for you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment