Thompson:
"If you don't think about how somebody who needs to use some sort of tool for accessibility and how they would be using it then you don't think about it. You think 'oh, it's pretty'..."
Going beyond focusing only on the esthetic element and instead going back to the basics of headings and bullets which makes it easier.
"It doesn't require much more effort to make [it] accessible. I don't feel like I'm losing anything."
Why did you participate?
1. I feel it's important stuff that you are doing so I'm happy to help.
2. I'm trying to reduce what my students pay for textbook costs (using open resources); I'm trying to make it so the stuff I put on Bb is accessible.
"I'm more aware than I used to be. I always have several students each semester who need some kind of accommodation and while they can get by but how much easier we can make it for people who struggle with things."
"The information in the training and our meetings is useful but it's still going to take time. You can't expect a perfect result. Going forward I will likely start from scratch and rethink how I could improve my approaches. I have a folder now in my teaching resources called accessibility and I never would have had that if it wasn't for this [research]."
Matthews:
We engaged in a lengthy discussion about the use of color and formatting during our last f2f meeting.
She was glad to know more about Lynda.com videos and the benefit of utilizing them while able to apply what you learn.
Additionally, she noted that she does well when she can follow along with a transcript while watching a video.
Has had conversations with her department and with colleagues since this research.
Cameron:
Noted that his research experience was "eye-opening" since he is a very visual person and thought his original syllabus was great until he considered the accessibility aspect and realized that it wasn't so great. He know understands how to create something that is both visually appealing and accessible; "the best of both worlds".
Cameron's new syllabus is now two parts: all information but the calendar is shared digitally through Populr and the calendar is shared in the LMS (Bb).
Initially, he would print the entire syllabus so his students could have the calendar but now he only needs to print the calendar (so much paper saved!!)
Cameron will be department chair and would like to collaborate to facilitate faculty development workshops for the department to get hands on training and help with building course materials.
Green:
Expressed disappointment about not having the "Check Accessibility" feature within Word for Mac. *Hopefully Microsoft will get their act together and make the feature available on both PC and Mac platforms.*
"I'm committed to the importance of this despite the time struggle of not having as much time as preferred to focus on this during your research..."
Her goal is to have one version of the syllabus for all students that is accessible.
She shared that she learned how to properly add hyperlinks in her syllabus and the option of using HTML.
Gellar:
Tested out WordPress this semester. Participation in research served as a refresh.
When asked if able to identify the implications and ways of applying the material learned in future instances and other aspects of teaching with increased understanding and awareness: "I understand it [accessibility] a whole lot better than I did"
In past experiences someones "talks at you" and alluded to 1 or 2 of the various recommendations but there is no mention of training or how to do it.
Would like to have a set of guidelines to refer to while building instructional materials.
Jackson:
In regards to the online training: "It was good. It was good to have to take the time to sit with Lynda.com and look at the training because it's not the kind of thing you make time for so it was an unexpected and eventful time for me."
Also commented that even if a video was 15 minutes in duration it was easier than past experiences in-person that took several hours.
When asked why did you participate?
"What got me to participate to begin with is my educational philosophy which is rooted in issues of social justice... which included inclusion... it's an area I know has been lacking in my own development... [explains that understanding the technology needed to make something accessible was challenging and frustrating and often involved sending it to an external person that added an extra step that was difficult especially when under a time constraint] ...I haven't made the opportunity to teach myself the technology so I could do it myself I have always had to rely on other people to make that happen; and that just doesn't sit well because it's a really core piece... for anyone that lays claim to any kind of value for social justice ethics ...inclusive, accessible practice has to be a really conscious piece of our work... so that is what made me say yes [to participate]."
Jones:
Also expressed disappointment in the MW for Mac not having the "Check Accessibility" feature.
"All of this made me think how horrible we all are as an institution for not doing this from day one as a training for every professor, as a requirement for all professors but also with support because it's not easy"
Discussed the idea of using her course syllabus as a template for her students to use for their own student teaching.
"You don't know what you don't know... but how come I get to learn about this by being in your project and not by being a professor at the university?"
I am very pleased with the progress that has been made thus far and I am confident that the discussions that have developed throughout this research and because of this research will continue to spread across campus.
Additionally, she noted that she does well when she can follow along with a transcript while watching a video.
Has had conversations with her department and with colleagues since this research.
Cameron:
Noted that his research experience was "eye-opening" since he is a very visual person and thought his original syllabus was great until he considered the accessibility aspect and realized that it wasn't so great. He know understands how to create something that is both visually appealing and accessible; "the best of both worlds".
Cameron's new syllabus is now two parts: all information but the calendar is shared digitally through Populr and the calendar is shared in the LMS (Bb).
Initially, he would print the entire syllabus so his students could have the calendar but now he only needs to print the calendar (so much paper saved!!)
Cameron will be department chair and would like to collaborate to facilitate faculty development workshops for the department to get hands on training and help with building course materials.
Green:
Expressed disappointment about not having the "Check Accessibility" feature within Word for Mac. *Hopefully Microsoft will get their act together and make the feature available on both PC and Mac platforms.*
"I'm committed to the importance of this despite the time struggle of not having as much time as preferred to focus on this during your research..."
Her goal is to have one version of the syllabus for all students that is accessible.
She shared that she learned how to properly add hyperlinks in her syllabus and the option of using HTML.
Gellar:
Tested out WordPress this semester. Participation in research served as a refresh.
When asked if able to identify the implications and ways of applying the material learned in future instances and other aspects of teaching with increased understanding and awareness: "I understand it [accessibility] a whole lot better than I did"
In past experiences someones "talks at you" and alluded to 1 or 2 of the various recommendations but there is no mention of training or how to do it.
Would like to have a set of guidelines to refer to while building instructional materials.
Jackson:
In regards to the online training: "It was good. It was good to have to take the time to sit with Lynda.com and look at the training because it's not the kind of thing you make time for so it was an unexpected and eventful time for me."
Also commented that even if a video was 15 minutes in duration it was easier than past experiences in-person that took several hours.
When asked why did you participate?
"What got me to participate to begin with is my educational philosophy which is rooted in issues of social justice... which included inclusion... it's an area I know has been lacking in my own development... [explains that understanding the technology needed to make something accessible was challenging and frustrating and often involved sending it to an external person that added an extra step that was difficult especially when under a time constraint] ...I haven't made the opportunity to teach myself the technology so I could do it myself I have always had to rely on other people to make that happen; and that just doesn't sit well because it's a really core piece... for anyone that lays claim to any kind of value for social justice ethics ...inclusive, accessible practice has to be a really conscious piece of our work... so that is what made me say yes [to participate]."
Take from: Indian Funny Picture
"Also, it was because it was you who asked and you've always been somebody who's been there for me when I need help and I really believe in supporting each other..."
When asked if there was a defining or pivotal moment in the research:
Thompson stated there were multiple including:
- learning the benefit of sharing PDFs over .doc or .docx files with students
- learning to use the "heading system" in Word
(previously had focused on making it look how "it needed to look" - first time experience using Lynda.com
(previously unaware of the value that it brings to CI)
Mentioned the value and necessity to build accessible documents from the beginning because remediation is so challenging.
I think when people balk at learning this kind of thing... sometimes people get irritated because they just don't want to have to deal with it and that is privilege talking... I don't want to have to learn... it's inconvenient to me... privilege is at play more that we often realize.
Jones:
Also expressed disappointment in the MW for Mac not having the "Check Accessibility" feature.
"All of this made me think how horrible we all are as an institution for not doing this from day one as a training for every professor, as a requirement for all professors but also with support because it's not easy"
Discussed the idea of using her course syllabus as a template for her students to use for their own student teaching.
"You don't know what you don't know... but how come I get to learn about this by being in your project and not by being a professor at the university?"
I am very pleased with the progress that has been made thus far and I am confident that the discussions that have developed throughout this research and because of this research will continue to spread across campus.

No comments:
Post a Comment