Monday, July 14, 2014

Reflection for July 11, 2014

On the last full day of camp, the purple team came in early to continue working on our robot. Landon is  already hard at work and I can tell that he is pondering quite a bit so I thought I would join him and see if I could be of any help and he placed two motors in front of me and asked me to start building a new model, Delta. I did my best to not shown my concern for the herculean task set before me and instead took a deep breath and started "tinkering" to the best of my ability. Somehow I managed to create workable aspects and with a little tweaking/suggestions from Landon eventually turned into the our final model. Throughout the process I gained increased clarity, confidence, and a new kind of creativity that I had yet to experience prior. I was so excited to see Delta accurately navigating the path set before it but even more so in the progress that I had made in such a short period of time. When we first started the project, I was flailing in the wind and unsure of how I could contribute other than "pillaging" for parts (as I liked to joke). Next, I spent chunks of time watching Landon and Simon put parts together and synthesize ideas and built a useful alternate part of the robot (if necessary)... FINALLY I contributed to the final model, Delta.
I must admit I am a lot less averse to owning Mindstorms now. I'm sure Adrian will be stoked. Overall, the project was very transformative for me and much less worrisome than I expected and I contribute that (at least) in part to my amazing group members.

No comments:

Post a Comment