Earlier tonight I had mentioned that I should try and play but when we got back it wasn't easy to actually try it. Adrian is very supportive and I know how important it is to him that we are able to "game together". I don't know if I feel like I learned much since I was trying various combinations without any real retention of what buttons I was pressing and what those buttons did. However, it was fun to watch my character flip through the air and somehow complete a combo that garnered a compliment or surprised exclamation from Adrian.
Now after playing, my thumbs are sore (I hear more laughter), my eyes are still wide, and my heartbeat seems slightly faster than normal. Hopefully I'll get to the point that I can play against Adrian and not lose immediately or as badly. I'd like to think that I did pretty well against the CPU. There are so many freaking buttons on the Classic Wii controller. I don't know how I'll keep them all straight aside from the jump buttons (x, y) which I seemed to press when I meant to press attack (b) or special moves (a) which apparently occur in combination with directional control stick.
I am pretty proud that I didn't talk myself out of it or choose to continue reading instead of trying it out. I know I didn't play too long and that I need to change the dialogue in my head if I really want to enjoy playing. Maybe I should try playing with a mirror around too... I'm sure I'm making all kinds of faces in my attempts to battle my opponent (tonight it was Link) and I played first as Kirby and then as Mario in the training mode.
In all honesty I can't say that my goal is to win but "... let me be brave in my attempt" still seems like a fitting half motto/quote and currently the more important focus for me. For now I will continue to try, try, try, and try some more.
I consider gaming a privilege more than a pastime and I am very new to almost everything related. I did not grow up with technology and only saw Nintendo games when my cousins played on their NES 2 Player Pak or game mat and considering how shy I was as a child; my cousins were hilarious to watch on the game mat.... ahhh the good ol' days.
For now I can add a few more minutes to my gameplay tally and begin thinking of what I might like to try next until I find one that grabs my attention. Thankfully Adrian has plenty for me to choose from and if not he's completely open to me buying something new.
Happy gaming everyone!!

No comments:
Post a Comment