Saturday, July 12, 2014

Reflection for July 8, 2014

During Cadre camp one of the many things that we have discussed is the importance of reflection. Just about every night we have taken time to carefully and thoughtfully consider the events of the day and reflect about something that resonated with us whether it be a specific event, moment, or discussion.

The moment that piqued my interest the most was a discussion during lunch about home-schooling and personal learning with Kim, Stephanie, Simon, & Bill. I am extremely interested in learning more about Bill's approach to learning and education and I hope to discuss it further especially with Adrian present. WHile I realize that i know only a minuscule fraction of the approach it seems like something I should consider adopting in the future. I do not feel children should be told what to learn and not learn. Learning is important but the educational journey that affords you the knowledge should not be a box and instead a free-forming experience...

where the focus is (on)


  • Cultivates creativity and focuses on the process of learning (not the product)
  • Removes expectations and limitations
  • Encourages reflection and self-discovery
  • Allows inquiry and exploration
  • Meets individual needs and passions
  • Informal learning over formal learning
  • Emphasizes experiences, service learning, and values
This is the first of many reflections that I will be sharing along my yearlong journey...let the HARD FUN begin!!

No comments:

Post a Comment