Today I met with the Assistive Technology Specialist because I wanted to explain my action research project and ask him more questions on accessibility. I know that he will be a great resource and supporter during the process. We both agreed that it is important for all faculty to have a base knowledge and understanding about accessibility. Improving the accessibility of syllabi is a worthy topic to tackle at our University.
Towards the end of our meeting he showed me some of the computer programs and tools that students use such as audio recorders to record a lecture and replay it later that has the ability to have various folders that can be programmed for each course the student is taking or a program called Kurzweil, a text to speech reader that is useful for documents, PDFs, and other materials that also allows the student to highlight passages and then sort out those highlights as an outline of important information.
He was very supportive of my idea of incorporating a focus group of students within the Disability Resource Programs (DRP) community.
I am working on arranging my next meeting with the Campus ATI Manager.
No comments:
Post a Comment