Monday, August 25, 2014

Kristi's Action Research: My Idea -4

I intend to pursue improving and/or increasing the use of accessible syllabi at CI for my action research project. I am excited to begin this journey and to be an agent of change in this domain. While accessibility has always been important to me for a variety of reasons I am definitely not as well-versed in this topic as I would like. While I am still working on formulating my research question I realize that it will be phrased more under the lines of creating access for disabled students through accessible syllabi.

In my mind, I believe that this research will serve as a foundation to improving the overall accessibility of campus materials at least amongst those within the department/program that I choose to study and analyze. I hope that once faculty better understand the purpose, benefits, and process of making accessible syllabi they will continue to use it and that the practices that are learned will stretch over into other academic material and even other colleagues. Education is important and of course I am not referring to the formal education each faculty member provides to CI students. While I do not expect all of these changes to occur within the year of this program I hope that I can "reach" even a few faculty who will come to value and appreciate the resources I create.

As Benjamin Zander said, "...to awaken possibility in others". That is truly what I hope to accomplish.

No longer will I stand to hear the excuses, "it's not my responsibility" or "that is so and sos job" or "I will do it if a request is filed/becomes necessary" or "it takes too much time" and sit idly by. I am ready to take action!!

It is in the University mission statement that students are placed at the center of their educational experience and as such that means ALL students. I am not trying to discount all faculty by any means. I have the privilege of working with phenomenal faculty, many of whom care deeply for students and already take the necessary steps to prepare accordingly. However, there is of course room for improvement and I intend to do my very best to increase the education, resources, and willingness to make material accessible from the very beginning and what better place to start than syllabi!?!
What class doesn't need a syllabus? ;-) ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment