Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Mission PVG log #7

Tonight I played Mario Tennis on Nintendo 64 with Adrian and Charlie. While not the most complex game I was still slightly uneasy about having never played until they both said we would learn to play together. We started out playing a 4-player exhibition Yoshi & Waluigi vs. Peach & Daisy... the princesses won both matches. Then we switched to rings which was an exhibition game but the score was based on balls hit through various sized rings... the caveat was that the total number of rings was given to the winner of the set with each team aiming to get to 50 rings first. Yoshi & Waluigi won both matches. Along the way we figured out the controls: A- top spin, B- slice, & Z- cancel shot. Lastly, we played (Waluigi & Peach vs. Yoshi & Birdo) Bowser stage,  which instead of rings there were items that were earned when item boxes are hit during the rally. My hands were still sweaty while I played but it was fun; they were both very supportive and wouldn't let me be tough on myself and after a few matches I started to get the hang of it. I think I am going to have to take advantage of having people to play multiplayer games with.

What happened: I asked to play a game with Adrian & Charlie and they suggested Mario Tennis. I took initiative to interrupt their game night to participate in their retro Nintendo game session.

How did I respond: I confidently and curiously played another Mario game that I had never heard of previously. It was fun learning together and not feeling pressured or being blamed when I dove the wrong direction (which I did quite a bit or I used the d-pad instead of the control stick). There was lots of laughter with and at each other.

Why did I respond this way?
I didn't feel threatened or vulnerable like I usually do. They were both very supportive and patient. I enjoyed playing and my hands were not as sore as they have been after playing most games for any amount of time longer than 30 minutes. I know I hold the controller tighter than necessary which likely also attributes to the hand fatigue.

No comments:

Post a Comment