I must confess that I was quite excited that the
Pikmin line of games are mentioned in James Paul Gee's book,
What Video Games Have To Teach Us About Learning and Literacy which is the latest book that I have started reading this week, especially because I began playing the game before I read the first section where it was mentioned. Participating in a game that is being referenced as an example is really helping me better understand the concepts that Gee is describing. While there are new additions to the version I am playing in comparison to the original game the overall premise is the same (to my knowledge thus far) since the three games are part of a larger and connected story. I am beginning to better understand the meaning of internal and external design grammar and I didn't realize it until I read the associated book sections. While I do not currently have yellow Pikmin that throw bombs I do have rock Pikmin that turn into a sort of bomb that works just as successfully at destroying walls but I have discovered that they can not be used for electric walls and thus I am actively searching to add yellow Pikmin to "my" squad. I have encountered at least six electric walls already in the first week of exploring!! I will have to see if using the rock type as a bomb kills them or not, I did pay attention to this but I don't think so since I only remembering losing Pikmin in battle.
 |
| Fiery Blowhog |
Another example of this is that I have learned that red Pikmin are immune to fire, have higher attack power, breakdown dirt walls faster than the rock type, carrying corpses or pellets, and are the best choice in defeating the Fiery Blowhog and currently bulborbs but the rock types also can help with certain varieties of these. It was quite interesting defeating the fiery blowhog near the water since it is capable of blowing the red type into the water. The red type cannot swim!
 |
| Medusal Slurker |
Rock Pikmin are "solid as rocks", as noted in one of Alph's nightly logs; they are immune to blunt force, able to smash through glass and crystal (currently), cannot swim but do not sink, and carry objects faster (but I've found they sometimes need to be told twice) because they are stronger. However, they cannot latch on to targets like other types and instead bounce off and roll back but they can be thrown normally.
I first acquired this type in a cave after defeating the Medusal Slurker and then they freed their onion from the crystal and were very handy in breaking the glass wall to free Brittany.
In an effort to further reflect on my experience, I am realizing that I am utilizing problem solving skills as I searched for fruit, fought enemies, destroyed walls, and most of all that I was not upset or disappointed when I made a mistake. Although, I did have a brief moment of silence at the end of the "day" if I lost any Pikmin along the way. I realize they are meant to be expendable but I still do my best not to lose them. I take pride in the fact that I've lost only seven the first week. I am comforted in the fact that I can start the day over if necessary once I've reflected on the successes or struggles encountered in order to improve my skills and understanding. For every battle, enemy, or wall that I face is a level of risk and involves exploring the surroundings, making mistakes, and strategizing the most effective way of accomplishing the task at hand. I am intrigued to see how playing video games more will influence my everyday thinking particularly when facing unforeseen challenges. I am looking forward to exploring the remaining areas beyond those I already have access to, Tropical Wilds and Garden of Hope.
No comments:
Post a Comment