Thursday, August 21, 2014

Kristi's Introduction: Core Values

I completed the the VIA Personality Assessment about a week ago and had forgotten that I had previously taken it in 2012 as part of an undergrad Psychology course; it was interesting comparing the differences in results between them. My former #1 is now #4 and my former #6 is now #1.

My top 3 were:                               My top 3 are:
Kindness                                           Honesty
Perspective                                        Zest                                                                                              
Humor                                               Love of Learning

I've been trying to reflect on these changes in relation to my action research and my work environment to better understand who I am but don't always realize or even acknowledge. When I think of where I was two years ago in comparison to who I am today I am overcome with the realization that I have grown immensely and I'm truly grateful for my life. I suddenly recall taking this assessment for my Theories of Personality course my Junior year in college which also would have been at the beginning of my student assistantship on campus that eventually turned into my current position.Wow!! Back then I was timid, unsure of myself, and I had no idea "what I was getting myself in to"... I was overwhelmed with questions such as: how can I help faculty learn technology, can I handle the technical aspects of learning an LMS, and what does blended learning even mean? Two years later and I can confidently say Yes, I do help faculty learn & understand the use of technology in their teaching. Yes, I can handle the technical aspects of an LMS and many other programs for that matter. Yes, I now have a better understanding of what blended learning is and why is a great model in many instances.

The Via Assessment describes Zest in the following way, "Regardless of what you do, you approach it with excitement & energy. You never do anything halfway or halfheartedly. For you, life is an adventure". Of course there are certain things that are easier for me to get excited about (watching a faculty member surpass their own expectations) in comparison to others (playing video games with others...I warned everyone it was irrational) but I still try to do the best that I can. The way I see it I am in control of who I am, how I am perceived, and how I wish to be perceived. No one's life is perfect but I choose to live my life as "Zesty" as possible. I remain friendly, confident, happy, and "spirited" at work despite the stresses that exist outside of that domain. It isn't always easy but I do my best to at least remain stoic when times get rougher than usual. As far as I'm concerned there is far too much negativity and cynicism in the society these days and if I can brighten even one person's day (however minutely) than my effort is well worth it.

I am not surprised to see Honesty in the top spot and there isn't really much I need to add to this except that being dishonest is the fastest way to lose my respect and trust. However, now that I think of it I can connect this to my work environment in the sense that I do favor working with those that are honest more than I do my dishonest colleagues that have sadly fallen into this category.

I am ecstatic to see Love of Learning at the top of the list and it makes sense since I've said for years that I love to learn and even moved back to the state so that I could learn!!

Besides the top 3 that I have shared I also value kindness, integrity, perseverance, humor, gratitude, humility, creativity, and appreciating the small things in life to name a few.

In closing, I also took the Authentic Happiness survey but wasn't entirely sure how to evaluate the results and chose instead to only focus on the Via Assessment.

No comments:

Post a Comment